|$129,000 - Possible Owner Financing for qualified buyers|
|Address:||4830 Highland Trail, Alderson, WV, 24910|
Randy S. "Riverbend" Burdette, 304.667.2897
MAPS & DOCUMENTS-CLICK LINKS TO VIEW
Martin’s Store at Fort Spring Google Earth map (Foxfire)
Martin’s Store at Fort Spring topographic map (Foxfire)
Martin’s Store at Fort Spring location map (Foxfire)
Martin’s Store at Fort Spring general location map (Foxfire)
Martin’s Store at Fort Spring area map (Foxfire)
Martin’s Store at Fort Spring state map (Foxfire)
Martin’s Store at Fort Spring and rentals located between Alderson and Ronceverte on Rt. 63. Excellent location, the property has approx. 1.16 acres with large multi-purpose commercial building. Has most recently operated as a convenience store with gas and a restaurant. This is the opportunity to own your own business, the sky is the limit with this great property. This property is not in the flood plain but is located near the Greenbrier River.
ATTRIBUTES AND HIGHLIGHT
- Possible Owner Financing for qualified buyers
- Great small business opportunity
- Convenience store, restaurant, sporting goods, deli, and a number of other possibilities
- Near the busy Greenbrier Campground
- Busy highway for Lewisburg, Ronceverte, and Alderson connection
- Near the Greenbrier River
- Many possibilities for numerous types of businesses
- (2) ten thousand-gallon tanks
- Tank monitoring system in place
- Walk in cooler
- Large deli
- Ready to go dining area
- Busy highway with great visibility
- 2 separate rentals yield $3,600.00 annually
- Well and septic system
- Paved front and parking
- Close to the busy Greenbrier River Campground
- The Greenbrier River attracts many for fishing, kayaking, canoeing, tubing and relaxing
- Closest convenience store 5 miles to Alderson and 8 miles to Ronceverte or Fairlea
- FedEx and UPS delivery location
- Convenient location to Camp Cupcake FPC at Alderson
Google Coordinates: 37°44’42.6″N 80°33’48.7″W
Address: 4830 Highland Trail, Alderson, WV, 24910
Elevation: 1638 ft. +/-
Electricity: Mon Power
Telephone: Frontier, Countrymen,
Internet: Frontier, Countrymen, Hughes Net
The property fronts Route 63
Greenbrier County is subject to some zoning and subdivision regulations. All prospective buyers should consult the County Commission and the Health Department for details regarding zoning, building codes and installation of septic systems.
Information can be found at the county website: http://greenbriercounty.net/ordinances/.
DEED and TAX INFORMATION
Greenbrier County, West Virginia
Deed Information: DB 533 Page 251
Acreage: From calculations approx. 1.15 Acres – ACREAGE .70(D)FROM ALLEN LOT 8 COLONIAL ACRES S/D RT 63 RONCEVERTE 281X193X404X100 and ACREAGE .46(D)FROM BOOTH LOT 9 COLONIAL ACRES S/D RT 63 RONC 120X231X112X281
Real Estate Tax ID/Acreage/Taxes:
Greenbrier County (13), West Virginia
Fort Springs (6)
Tax Map 18A Parcels 8 and 9
2020 Real Estate Taxes: $456.00
Greenbrier County School District
Public Elementary School:
Alderson Elementary School
Public Middle School:
Eastern Greenbrier Middle School
Public High School:
Greenbrier East High School
Fort Spring is an unincorporated community and coal town in Greenbrier County, West Virginia, USA. It is situated along the Greenbrier River within the Greenbrier River Watershed. It was once a substantial portion of the Chesapeake and Ohio railway by way of the Gravel Girtie route from Hinton in Summers County, West Virginia to Clifton Forge in Virginia. The name comes from its main export; Mississippian limestone from Snowflake Quarry sent to Clifton Forge, Virginia The main road going through the small town was once the original rail line, but was moved.
Fort Spring was originally called “Mann’s Ferry” and the community’s current name refers to the old settler fort that has been lost to history. The rock cliff, or bluff, seen just prior to the primary two train tunnels when traveling eastward, was named ‘Wilson’s Bluff’ due to a family settled there. Colonel John Stuart, who shipped Ice Age sloth bones (Megalonyx jeffersonii) to Thomas Jefferson, noted the presence of saltpetre caves in the area. The area is a combination of karst topography, riparian floodplain and ancient riverbeds with limestone (karst) outcropping mixing with farmlands and deciduous forest. The only available drinking water is by drilled wells or cistern or transportation.
Thanks to recent West Virginia tourism promotions, Fort Spring is a known spot for setting down kayaks and other types of boats for day trips to the nearby town of Alderson.
The Town of Alderson, affectionately known as the “Gem of the Hills” is tucked away in the lush Greenbrier Valley of southern West Virginia. It is situated along the beautiful Greenbrier River and includes both Greenbrier and Monroe Counties.
In 1763, the nearby Muddy Creek settlements were destroyed by Shawnee Indians under Chief Cornstalk and it was not until 1777 that the town was settled by “Elder” John Alderson, a frontier missionary for whom the town was named. It was here he founded the first Baptist church in the Greenbrier Valley and later a Baptist seminary that was later moved north to become Alderson-Broaddus College at Philippi, WV.
The Federal Reformatory for Women, the first federal prison for women, was established here in 1927. The town is renowned for its annual Independence Day festival, which was acknowledged by West Virginia Living Magazine as the state’s “Best Independence Day Celebration” in 2012.
Alderson, WV, today is largely a residential community with retail establishments in its downtown historic district. These serve the many camps and vacation homes along the Greenbrier River and tourists visiting the surrounding countryside. Commerce and property values are increasing as a result of increased tourism and the sheer beauty of the river and surrounding farms. Alderson itself contains many fine homes from the turn of the 20th Century, many of which are in mint condition, never having been altered from their well-tended, original appearance.
The town of Alderson has been an active community for generations. Boasting the largest and most popular 4th of July day parade in the state is hosted by the Town of Alderson. Alderson’s amenities include churches, elementary school, motel, bank, Dollar General, Family Dollar, gas/convenience stores, medical clinic, pharmacy, and restaurants. Alderson is located along the Greenbrier River in Greenbrier County and Monroe County, incorporated in 1881. Alderson was originally settled in 1777 by “Elder” John Alderson, a frontier missionary for whom the town is named Alderson is also home to “Camp Cupcake”, the minimum-security federal prison where Martha Stewart spent her vacation.
Lewisburg, which is the Greenbrier County seat, was voted the Coolest Small Town in American and is just a 20-minute drive to the thriving downtown historic district. The downtown boasts a year-round live theatre, Carnegie Hall, a new $3MM library, several fabulous restaurants, antique shops, and boutiques. There is also a modern hospital and all attendant medical facilities along with all the big box stores. Several new schools have been built in the area.
The Greenbrier County Airport, which has WV’s longest runway, is located just 25 minutes away and has daily flights to Chicago and Washington DC. The world-famous Greenbrier Resort is 25 minutes’ drive and Snowshoe Ski Resort is about 2 hours’ drive. Blacksburg, Virginia (Vtech) is about 90 minutes away, Roanoke, Virginia, is 120 minutes, DC is 4 hours and Charlotte, North Carolina is 3.5 hours away.
Just 30 minutes to Sandstone Falls, Bluestone Lake, Bluestone State Park, and Pipestem Resort, the surrounding area offers unlimited soft recreational activities including white water rafting, golfing, fishing, camping, hiking, bird watching and rock climbing. Snow skiing at the Winterplace Resort is less than an hour away. In 10 minutes, you can catch the Amtrak train in Alderson and ride to the Greenbrier Resort, Chicago, or New York City. The Beckley Airport is just 45 minutes away. The new 10,000-acre Boy Scout high adventure camp is an hour’s drive, and the 14,000-acre Wildlife Management Area is just across the river at Bull Falls.
THE GREENBRIER RIVER
The lower Greenbrier River possesses the excitement of life on one of the nation’s great wild rivers. The focus of a vast outdoor-recreation destination, it flows untamed out of the lofty Alleghenies, attracting anglers, paddlers, and naturalists from across the globe.
At 162 miles long, the Greenbrier is the longest undammed river left in the Eastern United States. It is primarily used for recreational pursuits and well known for its fishing, canoeing, kayaking, and floating opportunities. Its upper reaches flow through the Monongahela National Forest, and it is paralleled for 77 miles by the Greenbrier River Trail, a rail-trail that runs between the communities of Cass and North Caldwell.
It has always been a valuable water route, with many of the important cities in the watershed being established river ports. The river gives the receiving waters of the New River an estimated 30% of its water volume. Over three-fourths of the watershed is an extensive karstic (cavern system), which supports fine trout fishing, cave exploration, and recreation. Many important festivals and public events are held along the river throughout the watershed.
The Greenbrier is formed at Durbin in northern Pocahontas County by the confluence of the East Fork Greenbrier River and the West Fork Greenbrier River, both of which are short streams rising at elevations exceeding 3,300 feet and flowing for their entire lengths in northern Pocahontas County. From Durbin the Greenbrier flows generally south-southwest through Pocahontas, Greenbrier and Summers Counties, past several communities including Cass, Marlinton, Hillsboro, Ronceverte, Fort Spring, Alderson, and Hinton, where it flows into the New River.
Along most of its course, the Greenbrier accommodated the celebrated Indian warpath known as the Seneca Trail (Great Indian Warpath). From the vicinity of present-day White Sulphur Springs, the Trail followed Anthony’s Creek down to the Greenbrier near the present Pocahontas-Greenbrier County line. It then ascended the River to the vicinity of Hillsboro and Droop Mountain and made its way through present Pocahontas County by way of future Marlinton, Indian Draft Run, and Edray.
THE NEW RIVER AND BLUESTONE LAKE
Nearby, in about a 25-minute drive to the New River and 2000-acre Bluestone Lake at Hinton. The New River is the second oldest river in the world, preceded only by the Nile; it is the oldest river in North America. The New River is unique because it begins in Blowing Rock, N.C. and flows north through Virginia into West Virginia. The Nile and Amazon are the only other major rivers that also flow north. Year after year, it produces more citation fish than any other warm water river in WV. Smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, crappie, catfish, sunfish, hybrid striped bass, and muskie are all common species of fish found in the New River and Bluestone Lake.
Bluestone Lake is over 2000 acres at the summer pool and is the state’s third-largest body of water. Great hunting and fishing opportunities abound at the 17,632-acre Bluestone Wildlife Area adjacent to the park and nearby Camp Creek State Forest.
Lewisburg, which is the Greenbrier County seat, was voted the Coolest Small Town in American and is just a 35-minute drive to the thriving downtown historic district. The downtown boasts a year-round live theatre, Carnegie Hall, a new $3MM library, several fabulous restaurants, antique shops, and boutiques. There is also a modern hospital and all attendant medical facilities along with all the big box stores. Several new schools have been built in the area.
Located on Route 63, approx. 1.5 miles from the intersection of Fort Spring Turnpike. Approx. 4.5 miles from the Alderson intersection of Rt. 12 & 63.
- State of West Virginia
- West Virginia Explorer
- West Virginia Government
- West Virginia State Parks
- West Virginia Tourism
- Wonderful West Virginia Magazine
- WV Department of Natural Resources
- Virginia – Commonwealth of Virginia
- Virginia is for Lovers
- Virginia Museum of History & Culture
- Virginia Museum of Natural History
- Virginia National Park Service
- Virginia Recreation
- Virginia State Parks